Friday, March 25, 2005

the linguistic landscape is changing or like, linguistics sux

I believe that the linguistic landscape is changing and not for the better unfortunately. I'm not saying that I'm opposed to change, but I am opposed to change for the worse. here's what I mean. everyday, driving to work, I pass this "bridge" that has graffiti on it. now instead of spelling out the word s-u-c-k-s like a good little hoodlum, this individual decided to spell it s-u-x. now whether this is because said individual does not know how to spell the word correctly or if he or she was running out of spray paint, I couldn't tell you. now on the other side of that linguisticly and, often, financially, you'll see a lot of preppy girls overusing the word "like". explain to me why you would want to to convey messages any slower than you have to. if there was a lion chasing after you, you would scream for help. that's it. just one syllable. help. you would not say "like, there's this big felione of the jungle sprinting after me, like and if you could come to my aid, like, that would be totally appreciated, like." so I guess the only conclusion I can come up for the two individuals (the hoodlum and the preppy) for changing the language is to display their financial stability or lack thereof. the hoodlum is trying to show that he or she is financially challenged by taking the c-k-s and replacing it by the more base spelling of just x. on the other hand, the preppy is trying to show her financial might by equating the frequency of the word "like" with their bank accounts as if trying to say, "I've got so many words, here take a couple, like". all I know is that somewhere, Shakespeare is rolling over in his grave and when these two individuals (the hoodlum and the preppy) meet their maker, Shakespeare'll be there to kick their ass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BWahahahaha! I had a similar post about 'like' a few days ago. Again, it was an uppity American exchange-student. But it is true that (and I have not ever really thought about it) there is a very distinct divide between the layers of economic society. There always has been, I guess. But it is strange that the so-called bottom-feeders, go out of their way to sound grammatically inferior. How strange that is. good observation!