Saturday, February 12, 2005

of God, love, and other trivialities

well, I went to church today for no more noble of a purpose than the fact that I wanted to sleep in tomorrow for the first time in months. left church feeling kinda depressed 'cause the preacher spent a lot of time preaching against gay and lesbian marriages and stem cell research (personally, I think a person can choose to love whomever they choose and that they should be allowed rights and as far as stem cell research goes, I' still debating about it...). I guess I just consider myself more of a neo-catholic than a traditional catholic. in any case, this week is marriage sanctity week or something like that so he blessed the married couples and had them all come up to the front of the church to renew their vows. it was kinda cute so that cheered me up a little. so, as I was saying earlier, I left church feeling kinda down and questioning all sorts of things. since it was raining, and as I sometimes do when it rains, I turned off the radio in the car and started thinking about things. this popped into my head:

I believe that good music is a series of two notes that are so attuned to each other that when they are played at exactly the same time, they harmonize and produce something more pure, more splendid, and more beautiful than anything either could have created alone. this note, then, wafts to the ears of the listener who finds it pleasing. I also believe that this principle applies to love. love is two souls that are so attuned to each other that when they exist at the exact same time in history, they harmonize, merge, and intertwine and produce a life more joyous and more fulfilling than either soul could have produced on its own. the happiness created by these two souls, then catches the eyes of God who looks down on them and is pleased.

just a little something to get everyone in that pre-valentine's day mood.

1 comment:

Blessum Yellowstone Trip said...

That's beautiful. :) I agree whole heartedly... love is love... it can never be wrong. If Jesus empowered and loved the prostitutes, don't you think he'd have been here fighting the church leaders about marginilizing homosexuals. I think if Jesus came back today he would take on all of the corrupt bishops and cardinals (just like he did the Jewish high priests). On a side note I watched this great show on Discovery Times Channel about Jesus (The Complete Story). It was pretty interesting because they used archaelogical evidence to figure out things from the bible and recreate an image of what Jesus probably looked like (no long flowing hair for him). :)