Tuesday, February 08, 2005

1000 cranes

I'm not really sure why but the story of Sadako Sasaki came into my mind today: "The paper crane has become an international symbol of peace in recent years as a result of it's connection to the story of a young Japanese girl named Sadako Sasaki born in 1943. Sadako was two years old when the atom bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan on August 6, 1945. As she grew up, Sadako was a strong, courageous and athletic girl. In 1955, at age 11, while practicing for a big race, she became dizzy and fell to the ground. Sadako was diagnosed with Leukemia, "the atom bomb" disease. Sadako's best friend told her of an old Japanese legend which said that anyone who folds a thousand paper cranes would be granted a wish. Sadako hoped that the gods would grant her a wish to get well so that she could run again. She started to work on the paper cranes and completed over 1000 before dying on October 25, 1955 at the age of twelve...Today, people all over the world fold paper cranes and send them to Sadako's monument in Hiroshima." well, now I've got it into my head that I can fold 1000 paper cranes so I'll be working on that on my 'free time'. if you want to help, you're more than welcome to. just use a 6 in. x 6 in. piece of paper and bring them to me the next time you see me. if you need directions on folding paper cranes, they can be found here: http://www.sadako.org/foldingcranes.htm

No comments: